Tuesday 5 February 2008

Now the work begins...

I had to work over the weekend so it was last night before I was able to start getting everything ready to go on sale.
First off, I had to photograph everything, which was a bit of a chore for someone who hasn't really got an artistic bone in their body. I eventually found the right combination of background, camera setting and lighting and the results can be viewed here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/23507767@N06/. Any feedback would be welcome, although I know that I will probably have to redo the first few.
I think we have pretty much decided on prices for each item. Thankfully Alison has also volunteered to write a little about them, which I was dreading.
I think it would be useful to catalogue everything so that is something that can be added to my list of things to do.
We have decided to go with a dedicated website, which I think is the best way forward. I can't really believe how easy it is to set up an e-commerce website. £75 covers purchasing the domain name and 2 years worth of hosting while we are charged a percentage of each transaction by the company that designed the software, www.shopcreator.com. Fair enough, the front end won't rival that of Debenhams but it will more than suffice for now.
I hope to write copy for the website over the next few days and Alison is going to work on a logo.
I am not going to reveal the name just yet as we want to make sure we are happy with it but I think it is quite appropriate.
Finally, I went into the post office today and bought a few bits and pieces for postage. I meant to start weighing everything tonight but worked on the website instead. Everything should be fairly straight forward other than the Giraffes- they are going to be a nightmare to send.




Technorati Tags:, , , , , , ,
Generated By Technorati Tag Generator

Technorati Tags:
Generated By Technorati Tag Generator

1 comment:

Karen said...

Hi
It's only little me again with a couple of suggestions about your photos.
I'll stay focussed on the blankets for now if that's ok with you.

At the moment I just feel that the piccies of the blankets don't really show them off in best context.
(Please read this in a totally supportive manner and don't get overly concerned as you know I am here to help and I think many others will as you go along your journey.)

Lets say that you had a beautiful ethnic bedroom with a lovely bed with lovely Maasai blanket strewn over it a throw? Do you get the picture? A batik in the background even as a wall hanging maybe?
That would draw the ethical consumer who loves ethnic bedrooms into purchase your blankets and batiks! There you have narrowed down your "TARGET MARKET".
Enough for now I'll see what you think of my replies so far
K
Ps if you go to your profile page on Pledging for Change network http://www.pledgingforchange.com/profile/KeithMcGuinness I have added an RSS feed bottom left. Add the feed for "this" blog in there and every post will be taken over to the network...a bit more potential publicity for you and this blog!